D. Wylie Associates
D. Wylie Associates is a consulting firm established in January, 1997 to provide transportation human factors research, driver fatigue consulting, and expert witness services for defense and plaintiff’s counsel, insurance companies, the transportation industry, and government departments of transportation. D. Wylie Associates has served the U.S. Department of Transportation, Transport Canada (Canada’s counterpart to the US Department of Transportation), the California Department of Education, and hundreds of defense and plaintiff’s attorneys.
Dennis Wylie is the firm’s principal consultant. He is a board-certified professional ergonomist with more than 40 years’ experience as a human factors/ergonomics specialist. A graduate of the University of California at Santa Barbara , he joined the pioneering firm of Human Factors Research, Inc. in 1967, where his mentors in human factors were some of the founders of that branch of science. He specialized in vigilance and operator performance, and in the last 25 years has focused on human factors in driving. He was Vice President and Senior Staff Scientist of Human Factors Research, Inc., and a Principal Scientist at Essex Corporation before starting his own firm in 1997.
Selected Publications by Dennis Wylie
- Sleep, Science, and Policy Change. New England Journal of Medicine, 2005; 352:2
- Commercial Motor Vehicle Collisions. Handbook of Human Factors in Litigation, CRC Press, 2005
- Hours of Service, Driver Fatigue, and Crash Risk: An Operations Research Model Based on Human Factors Data. Prepared for Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, Washington, D.C. by D. Wylie Associates, Santa Barbara, CA: 2000
- Driver Drowsiness, Length of Prior Principal Sleep Periods, and Naps. Montreal: Transport Canada, 1998. Report No. TP 13237E.
- Study of commercial vehicle driver rest periods and recovery of performance in an operational environment. Managing Fatigue in Transportation. (Laurence Hartley, Ed.). Oxford: Pergamon, 1998, 119-165. (with co-authors)
- The Sleep of Long-Haul Truck Drivers. The New England Journal of Medicine, 1997, 337, 755-761. (with co-authors).
- Commercial Motor Vehicle Driver Rest Periods and Recovery of Performance. Montreal: Transport Canada, 1997. Report No. TP 12850E (with co-authors).
- Commercial Truck Driver Survey. Washington, D.C.: Federal Highway Administration, 1997. (with co-authors).
- Commercial Motor Vehicle Driver Fatigue and Alertness Study: Project Report. (Report No. FHWA-MC-97-002). Washington, D.C: Federal Highway Administration, 1996. (with co-authors).
- Commercial Motor Vehicle Driver Fatigue and Alertness Study: Technical Summary. (Report No. FHWA-MC-97-001). Washington, D.C.: Federal Highway Administration, 1996. (with co-authors). (French translation available from Transport Canada, “Etude sur la fatigue et la vigilance chez les conducteurs de vehicules utilitaires – Sommaire technique,” Report No. TP 12876E)
- FHWA Driver Fatigue and Alertness Study. Proceedings, Technical Conference on Enhancing Commercial Motor Vehicle Driver Vigilance. Alexandria, Virginia: American Trucking Associations Foundation, 1996.
- The Driver Fatigue and Alertness Study: A Plan for Research. Fatigue and Driving. (Laurence Hartley, Ed.). London: Taylor & Francis, Ltd., 1995. (with co-authors).
- Vigilance of Truck Drivers. Vigilance et Transports: Aspect Fondamentaux, Degradation et Prevention. Lyon: Presses Universitaires de Lyon, 1995. (with co-author).
- Countering Loss of Vigilance in Sonar Watchstanding Using Signal Injection and Performance Feedback. Ergonomics. 37, 1157-1184, 1994. (with co-author).
- Countermeasures to Loss of Alertness in Motor Vehicle Drivers: A Taxonomy and Evaluation. Proceedings of the Human Factors Society 35th Annual Meeting. 2, 1149-1153, 1991. (with co-author).
- Countermeasures to Loss of Alertness in Truck Drivers: Theoretical and Practical Considerations. Journees d’Etudes: Le Maintien de la Vigilance dans les Transports. Lyon-Bron: Institut National de Recherche sur les Transports et Leur Securite (INRETS), 1990. (with co-author).
- Commercial Driver Fatigue Data Collection, Analysis, and Countermeasures Plans. Goleta, California: Essex Corporation, 1990. (with co-authors).
- Development of a Recommended Testing Program for Commercial Motor Vehicle Operators. Goleta, CA: Essex Corporation, 1989. (with co-authors).
- Instructor’s Manual, National Commercial Driver License Examiner Training Program. Goleta, California: Essex Corporation, 1989. (with co-author).
- Model Driver’s Manual for Commercial Vehicle Driver Licensing. Goleta, California: Essex Corporation, 1989. (with co-author).